Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Sad News

Robert Sherman, one half of the Sherman Brothers who wrote nearly every memorable Disney movie's music for decades passed away yesterday.   Most of the news reports are mentioning his writing "It's a Small World" and the score of Mary Poppins.  While he himself said he'd "driven teenagers crazy in every language" with Small World, I do have fond memories of it as the first ride I ever went on in Disney World.  The Boston Globe has some lovely interview bits in its announcement of his death.   He and his brother really were amazing at writing music that could be appreciated at all age levels.  I leave you with a few personal favorites.

 
Portabello Road from Bedknobs and Broomsticks
 
The Aristocats as sung by Maurice Chevalier

 
The Age of Not Believing from Bedknobs and Broomsticks as sung by Angela Lansbury (I really like Bedknobs and Broomsticks)

 
 Heffalumps and Woozles from Winnie the Pooh

And lastly, my theme park favorite:
One Little Spark from Journey Into the Imagination



Oh how I miss the original Figment and Dream Catcher!

No comments:

Post a Comment